Cover photo for Eugene   Anderson's Obituary
Eugene   Anderson Profile Photo
1930 Eugene 2019

Eugene Anderson

November 24, 1930 — January 16, 2019

Eugene Moore Anderson, Jr., died peacefully in his sleep on January 16, 2019, at the age of 88. He was born in Spartanburg, SC, November 24, 1930, son of Eugene Moore Anderson, Sr., and Virginia Bomar Anderson. Gene grew up in Spartanburg and was imbued with a genteel Southern culture to which he remained loyal to the end.

After graduating from Spartanburg High School in 1948, Gene attended Washington and Lee University where he was a member of Pi Kappa Phi social fraternity, Phi Beta Kappa, and Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in history in 1952. Gene attended the Duke University Law School, earning his Juris Doctor degree in 1954. After a few years practicing corporate law with Southern Bell Telephone, Gene attended the University of Virginia, earning a Master of Laws Degree in 1970.  Gene then taught law for several years in Massachusetts, Texas, and Ohio, before returning to the corporate world at Barclays Bank from which he retired in 1994.  After residing in Charlotte for over 20 years, he moved to The Pines at Davidson in March 2004. Gene served as a Lieutenant in the United States Air Force, Strategic Air Command. He served as a major and as a Judge Advocate General in the US Air Force Reserve until 1978.

Equally deep and important to Gene were his Scottish roots, and true to those roots Gene was a life-long Presbyterian and a frugal man, though generous to charitable and educational organizations, and he loved a party. Gene became acquainted with the Georgene and Canfield Smith family while Canfield and Gene were both engaged in graduate programs at Virginia. The Smiths advertised an apartment for rent to a couple without a pet. Gene took a chance that he would be acceptable though he was not a couple, but he also had no pet. He arrived at lunchtime when the fresh bread came out of the oven and bottles of homebrew were opened. And this was the beginning of a beautiful 50-year friendship between Gene and the Smith family and their friends. After their mutual adoption, Gene attended virtually all of the Smith gatherings over the years—weddings, holiday parties, and others, regardless where he or they lived.

Gene Anderson was an interesting, well-read, and articulate Southern Gentleman. He read widely in history, economics, and world affairs and could hold up his end in conversation with any age or group. For all his qualities, he will be sorely missed. 

Gene was preceded in death by his father, Eugene, in 1964 and by his mother, Virginia, in 1987.

Gene is survived by his brother James Harrison Anderson of Florida and by his “adopted family,” especially Jeff and Marcy Smith and their children, Madeleine, Jeffrey, Jr., and Wesley, who live in neighboring Mooresville and who have watched over and looked after Gene, especially after his move to Davidson.

A memorial service-reception for Eugene Anderson will be held at the Pines at Davidson at 4:00 on February 1st and a memorial celebration for close friends and family at Primal Brewery on February 3rd at 3:00.  His ashes will be taken to Oakwood Cemetery in Spartanburg, South Carolina, for a private graveside service.  In lieu of flowers, please make a gift to your favorite charity in honor of Gene.

A complete eulogy will be included with the online obituary on February 1st, 2019 at

If you wish to contact Jeff Smith for any additional information or to share your memories of Gene, he welcomes you to do so at or (520) 954-1700.


In Honor of

Eugene Moore Anderson, Jr.

Eulogy written by Jeff Smith

Gene was more than a lifelong friend. 

My parents first met Gene when he was looking for a place to live in Charlottesville, VA at UVA working on his Master of Laws degree. When he stopped by to check out their place, my mom was baking bread and my dad serving homebrew. . .it was love at first site! He subleased and moved into the “lower level.”  It was actually the basement, but Gene always had a way with words.   After a year and lots of fun times, my parents moved to Wisconsin, just after finding out that my mom was pregnant with me.  We moved to Alabama for 13 years and then in 1985 we moved to Seattle with my brother, sister and me in tow.  Remarkably, during all those years, Gene would find his way to our home for our Christmas or New Years Parties, or other significant events.  I can count on one hand how many times, in nearly 50 years of friendship, that he and I missed celebrating together: once when his mother Virginia, was bed ridden, and the second and third time when Marcy and I were in Japan. I cannot think of a more loyal friend nor one more dedicated to his friends. Or, maybe, was it my mom’s bread and dad’s beer that kept Gene coming back?

Anyway, fast forward to my college years when Marcy and I started dating. Marcy remembers the day she first met Gene when we drove to pick him up from the airport.  He was flying from Charlotte to Seattle for my parents’ Christmas party in 1989,  almost 30 years ago.  She quickly learned who Gene was, a southern gentleman, a guy who loved a party and someone willing to invest in a friendship like no other.  Soon after, Marcy and I got married, had our daughter, Madeleine, in Seattle, then I had an opportunity to take a job in Mooresville.  I asked Marcy if she wanted to move to NC and without hesitation she said yes.  Gene was a major part of our decision to go. Gene took my pregnant wife, Madeleine, and me into his home until we were settled into our own place.  A year and a half later, we had our third child, Wesley Eugene Smith and chose to name him after the man who had become my best friend.  For the next 19 years, we ate together, spent time and went on trips together while watching my Children grow into the young adults they are today.

Gene never married, never had children of his own blood, but he had grandkids, our children.  Now, for anyone who knows Gene, he really wasn't always patient. We had no idea how Gene would handle our three kids in the beginning.  We were pleasantly surprised! He softened in ways unimaginable. It was nothing short of a blessing to watch the transformation.  He loved our kids like his own.  He was a major part of their lives and ours. 

Gene loved life. He loved reading history, watching Duke and other college basketball, loved to poke at people, antagonize, talk, and he loved to read the Bible.  Gene, at his core, was deeply spiritual.  He was a Bible scholar.  Gene was a corporate-attorney, scholastically he was always at the top.  He was a fierce attorney who struck fear in his opponents.  He was always prepared. He was thorough in everything he did. And even up till just a few weeks ago, he could dissect a contract.  But beneath all of that, was a man with much passion and righteousness.   He loved the Lord, he loved his country, he loved his friends, he loved being at the Pines (though he was sure to not to let everyone know...kind of the attorney in him).

Gene was also an officer in the Air Force, flying in SAC protecting our country in the 50s.  He taught Law several years and upon reflection, said he loved that the most.  Gene loved history. For me, what I loved about Gene, is that he was always there for me.  I knew I could always call until midnight.  (I also knew I couldn't call before noon…)  we talked about everything. 

Thank you for joining us in honoring Gene.  I know he is home now with Jesus. 



To order memorial trees or send flowers to the family in memory of Eugene Anderson, please visit our flower store.


Visits: 47

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the
Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Service map data © OpenStreetMap contributors

Send Flowers

Send Flowers

Plant A Tree

Plant A Tree